Saturday, August 02, 2008

For you, a thousand times over....



Friend….I wonder about the magical meaning this six letter word carries in our lives. More than often this word outweighs the four letter word “Love” in more than one ways. I know you may not agree as the two are so very intertwined but the fact remains I have always loved my best friends and always tried to find a friend in the person I love. I remember my childhood as not a very colorful one but one in the company of people I called friends and my family called friends. The three such people I associate the oldest memories of my life carry a lot of meaning to me. I don’t remember saying them to ever that they were my best friends or are, I don’t know if they feel the same for me but I do know that I have them etched permanently on my heart..

I have always believed the best lessons in life come from books (and movies inspired of them). One such book I recently went through was “The Kite Runner” written by Khalid Hossieni, heard now there’s a movie on it too. The story set in the rugged lands of Taliban infested Afghanistan, is more a story of two friends who inherit a part of their friendship in legacy. One ‘Amir’ the lad of a rich man and the other ‘Hasan’ the boy of his Hazara servant, growing up together they discover their friendship and the loyalty the latter has towards the other. Towards the later half, the grown up Amir traverses half the world from the US to Kabul to search for Hasan’s son Sohrab, as he discovers Hasan was not his servant’s(Ali) son but only the illegitimate son of his father from the servant’s wife. He decides to go back to Kabul and fetch Sohrab and make sure what happened to Hasan does not happen to Sohrab. Amir himself being childless does all he can to bring back the boy and succeeds. In end comes the most heart melting part, when Amir runs a kite for Hasan’s son and says “for you, a thousand times over”…a phrase that Hasan used to say to Amir and probably overwhelms the audience completely. And the movie does give a nice picture of the Afghan Community in the USA..

It’s one of the most beautiful stories I have read in my life and probably the reason is that we all at some point in our lives wait to say this otherwise so common sentence “for you, a thousand times over”…It’s like telling someone you mean the world to me. I am thankful to god that I have people in my life to say these lines to. We have all grown up on a diet of Best friends stories, of Jai & Veeru of Sholay and more but this book goes out to say much more – a mixture of emotions that can be evoked by Love; love for one’s motherland, a partner, a friend, a parent, or a your child to say the least the book is all full of them. Hasan named his son 'Sohrab' - the name of the character liked by Amir, again it was an unsaid dedication to their friendship. In essence the book also captures the timeless nature of friendship. You may not meet or talk to a friend so often but feelings are beyond words and meeting…so just hang on to your emotions.

I have always wondered what if the person I call my best friend met me on a small journey of 10 hours from Delhi to Lucknow, life would probably have been very different that what you see as of now. We say our destiny is already written “Makhtub” but then every man on the street says “Insha-allah” – If god wills, are we not trying to ask god to erase a few lines off our life books and replace them with our own?

As a philosophical theory, man is always wanting to be loved and wants to be in company of people who love him so desire for friendship is incessant. Life is a short one so make as many friends as you can but remember the number would never matter what would matter to you most is to how many can you turn back in life and say “for you, a thousand times over”…..To all the people not only friends you love - express your feelings now…there’s never been a better day than today…….Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment