Thursday, June 19, 2008

Irony of life...Beauty in the beast

Isn't it strange that we all live in the world which faces irony in each of its facet. We can observe the diversity of life and the myraid opinions people have about its creations - living and non-living. I listened to this song "Gin Soaked Boy" by Divine Comedy in 1994 when I was a small school going lad, I fell in love with it for times to come. Though in those days I couldn't comprehend much of the sense it said or the meaning it conveyed, the music and the B&W picturisation appealed. The last line "Who am I?" left a lingering mystery to the lyrics and began to add lines to it...It was never a difficult song by the way as I could always add few made up lines which were ironical. The rediscovery of the song happened a few years back with all credits to the man who invented the necessity of Youtube. Here are the lyrics that I hope would ensure some self reflection to every person who reads/listens to them:


Im the gin in the gin-soaked boy
Im the ghost in the machine...Im the genius in the gene...

Im the beauty in the beast..Im the sunset in the east...
Im the ruby in the dust...Im the trust in the mistrust...
Im the trojan horse in troy...Im the gin in the gin-soaked boy...

Im the tigers empty cage...Im the mysterys final page...
Im the strangers lonely glance...Im the heros only chance...
Im the undiscovered land...Im the single grain of sand.....
Im the christmas morning toy...Im the gin in the gin-soaked boy...

Im the world youll never see...Im the slave youll never free...
Im the truth youll never know...Im the place youll never go....
Im the sound youll never hear...Im the course youll never steer....
Im the will youll not destroy...Im the gin in the gin-soaked boy...

Im the half-truth in the lie...Im the why not in the why...
Im the last roll of the die...Im the old school in the tie...
Im the spirit in the sky...Im the catcher in the rye...
Im the twinkle in her eye...Im the jeff goldblum in the fly..

Who am i?


for the benefit of all, here's the link to the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXP1oLtPyDA

2 comments:

  1. ofcourse ur the gin in the gin-soaked boy..... i thought u knew better....quite dissapointed in u...well, nice selection of a riddle.....well something like this was reincarnated by some rabbi in the punjabi hit "bulla ki janna main kaun"....beautiful songs these with wonderful music....my ears love them....my mind however actually is not as quick and sharp to understand the deep hidden philosophy.....questions like "who am i?", "what am i doin here?", why am i here?", "what is love?" etc. are questions not to be pondered over by people like me....
    ya once i am retired and i have nothing to do but ponder i think these questions would genuinely intrigue me......u ll have to wait a little longer for the answers my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Undoubtedly one of the most meaningful songs I have heard till date...It was long that I had listened to it..Thank you for reminding me of a whole chapter of my life (an ironical one u bet!) when this song was always on my mind...

    ReplyDelete